FARMS, RUINS AND ROCK ART, CEDARBERG
26th – 28th May 2017
This year we are having a change of pace and turning our attention to the Cedarberg, where we plan to visit the Biedouw Valley and the valley of the Doring River.
* Saturday 27th will be spent visiting farms in the Biedouw Valley. The Vernacs visited the Biedouw in 2002 and we will revisit those buildings as well as some not seen at that time.
* Bring a picnic lunch and tea.
* On Sunday we make our way down the Klipfonteinrand Pass into the drier valley of the Doring River. Here we will visit and discuss a ruin on the farm Lamkraal. To add some variety an excursion to a premier rock art site at Salmanslaagte withan expert guide is included. This site is now closed to the general public due to vandalism, but we
will be allowed in.
* We will be having our picnic lunch at the Kliphuis picnic spot in the Pakhuis Pass after which we depart for home with plenty of time to arrive back in Cape Town before the sun sets.
The trip is from the 26th to the 28th May.
Accommodation will be at Traveller’s Rest in the Cederberg. Transport is in your own vehicles. Traveller’s Rest is two and a half to three hour’s drive from Cape Town.
The tour officially begins on the 27th. On Friday 26th you might
like to consider arriving by afternoon and undertaking the Sevilla Rock Art
Trail, which is on the Traveller’s Rest property. Or you could just relax
and enjoy the stunning surroundings, or drive down to the farm stall and
have a cup of coffee.
Accommodation will be in shared cottages at Traveller’s Rest which have equipped kitchens (no ovens). The cottages have bedding and towels, but no soap or other toiletries.
On the Friday evening (26th) you have three choices: to cook for yourself,
to braai (wood for sale at the farmstall), or to order a meal from Traveller’s Rest.
Venison Stew, Chicken Curry or Bobotie. All come with rice and vegetables at R95.
You must order these a day in advance (027 482 1824) and collect them by 18:00 on the Friday when they close.
What is included:
* Overnight accommodation in the Kloof Cottages at Traveller’s Rest
for the 26th and 27th May.
* Buffet dinner at the Khoisan Kitchen on the 27th. All beverages,
except tea and coffee, are for your own account. The restaurant is licensed.
A corkage fee of R35 is charged.
* Tour notes
* Expert rock art guide at Salmanslaagte
* Entrance to the Kliphuis picnic site
* Notes, 10% levy to VASSA
* There are no official activities on the 26th.
What is not included:
Dinner on Friday evening.
Breakfast and lunches – bring your picnics (all the cottages have
Beverages, except tea and coffee (at the dinner)
For those with plenty of time on the Friday you can add the following:-
Drive via Nardouws Kloof Pass rather than the Pakhuis Pass. This adds two
hours to the travelling time of two and a half to three hours. Nardouws Kloof is the
route taken by Henry Lichtenstein in 1803.
The Sevilla Rock Art Trail. This is a five kilometre self-guided walk with
ten sites at Traveller’s Rest at a cost of R40 per person including a brochure. A guide
book is available at R95.
The roads after Traveller’s Rest (and Nardouws Kloof) are gravel and at the
time of the recce some were badly corrugated. All are viable with an
ordinary car but make sure that your
tyres are in good condition, your spare tyre is in good order and have your
shock absorbers checked.
The cottages are not air conditioned.
For dinner there is no vegetarian choice, except not having the meat.
There is only MTN cell phone reception at the farmstall. For Vodacom you
must travel up the hill towards Bushman’s Kloof to get a one bar signal.
Cost R 1650 per person sharing. Single supplement R200. The cottages come in various configurations. Some with two single beds and some with double, some with en-suite and some with shared facilities. Some with a double bed, open plan and another bedroom.
Accommodation will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. If you are planning to share a room or cottage please state with whom you are sharing.
Send your reservations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After acceptance you will be contacted for payment which must be made promptly. Money will not be
refunded unless there is a waiting list.
This trip can only accommodate a maximum of 20 paid up members.
Any questions to the same address.
We have had to make a provisional block booking for all the Kloof cottages at Traveller’s Rest. They will only hold this booking for us for a week, so it is imperative that you decide quickly and let Nigel know by the 4th March.
Detailed notes will be distributed on arrival.