TOPIC: Contemporary Construction – in the Vernacular Style
SPEAKER: Stuart Hermansen
DATE: Tuesday, 21 August 2012
VENUE: The Athenaeum,
Boundary Terraces, Newlands, at the intersection of Mariendahl & Campground Rds.
Stuart Hermansen takes us on the road he’s travelled professionally and talks about some of the projects he’s been involved in as a heritage architect.
Starting out in 1995, he co-founded Team Architecture, a practice where he worked on a selection of heritage projects, such the restoration of Weltevreden in Stellenbosch, the Van der Bijl family grave in Lynedoch and the remodelling of Groenvlei farm and werf.
Since 2000 Stuart has been trading as HB Architects, working as a specialist professional principal specifically dealing with heritage policy formulation and detailed architectural restoration, from urban cultural place making to providing architectural services for specialist heritage skills.
A glimpse of some the projects undertaken …
- The restoration of the 1912 Paarl Regional Magistrates Court;
- The Evangelical Lutheran Church, Strand Street where as the heritage architect he assessed the three historic buildings that make up the Church complex for application to SAHRA as a Grade 1 [National] Heritage Site, and assessed the condition of the buildings for future remedial/restoration work;
- The Groote Schuur Estate, comprising some fifty buildings, including the well-known Herbert Baker residence;
- The Stellenbosch historical Middedorp, where he was commissioned by Historical Homes of SA to develop a web-based register accessible to authorities and public alike and flexible enough to be applied to assess, grade and nominate other historic urban centres for heritage resources management. The project has been handed to SA Heritage Trust for further development;
- The Bergzicht Precinct upgrade & Church Street Renewal;
- The historic Cape Georgian residence van der Bijlhuis in Markstraat, Stellenbosch;
- At Goede Hoop in Simondium, where he compiled a conservation management plan for the farm in terms of the SAHRA requirements and the conditions of the Boschendal Founders Estate
- Ida’s Valley Homestead, with extensive work to the famous historic homestead.
Some public projectshe’s been involved with:
- The demolition of the Athlone Power Station Cooling Towers;
- Nietvoorbij HeritageGarden, Stellenbosch;
- Old Landboussaal, Noordwalstraat;
- Ida’s Valley Community Initiative Association.
Visitors are welcome to this free talk
OTHER TALKS THAT MIGHT INTEREST
The La Motte Museum, Franschhoek is hosting a series of talks during the upcoming months.
- Thursday, 14 September 2012 Cape Dutch Architecture – Dr Matilda Burden who discusses the relevance of Cape Dutch Architecture in today’s world with reference to “kalkbrandery” along the West Coast and its relevance for CapeArchitecture.
- Thursday, 11 October 2012 Pierneef and what influenced him – Amanda Botha
- Thursday, 8 November 2012 Painting, Print-making and Ceramics – Ella-Lou O’Meara
For reservations & more information: Contact Ingrid at +27(0)21 876 8850 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
It is with great sadness that we note the passing of Una van der Spuy, four days short of her hundreth birthday.
We salute her creativity and vision.
We also share with members the news of the death of former members Cathy Maunder – she and Hugh were long time members, and of Cato Meaker.